Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Handmade Wedding Gift, Numero Uno.

Adam and I had a few of our friends who recently got married.  Like any wedding attendee, I then started thinking about what type of gift I was going to give them (because we all know that's 'the girl's job' and if we left it up to our husbands they would either a) receive nothing or b) receive something having to do with ESPN or video games! haha).

I don't know about you, but I don't like to settle for giving someone your typical dishware, cutlery, or a traditional set of bath towels (when they don't even remember registering for what seems like 20 sets of 3 different colors! <-- we totally did that, partially because of Adam's love for manning the registry 'gun'!)  So I began the search for a more personalized, thoughtful gift.  As you all know, Pinterest  has become an everyday occurrence for me these days, and I stumbled across a few ideas of fun, creative (and inexpensive) ways to spruce up any blank wall space in your house.  I thought some of the ideas could be tweaked a little bit here and there to make a great wedding gift.     

                   
                                     
 (click on the pictures above for instructions on how dittledattle did hers)

Here is how I altered this idea a little bit to personalize it for the newlyweds:

Materials Used:
1)  Canvas Panels (3 varying sizes- I think I used 8x10s, 9x12s and 5x7s, or something similar)
2)  Mod Podge 
3)  Foam Brush
4)  Acrylic Paint
5)  Scrapbook Paper
6)  Dry Paper Towel
7)  Ribbon
8)  Hot Glue Gun
9)  Curtain Rod

* I forgot to take some pictures of the step-by-step process of the project, but it's simple enough to explain (and if you have any questions you can just comment on this post).  

1)  Trim scrapbook paper to fit the size of your canvases.  You will want to leave a little bit of a space between the outside edges and your paper to avoid overhang.  Don't worry, the blank space will be covered by paint later on.

2)  Spread Mod Podge over the entire front part of your canvas, place paper on top of the Mod Podge  (here it may be helpful to use a credit card or something to press the paper and smooth out any wrinkles).  

3)  After all the wrinkles are out, apply another coat of Mod Podge on the top of your paper; making sure all corners are pressed down.  Allow to dry.

4)  Paint letters.  I free-handed my letters, but you could use tracing paper to transfer any font onto the canvas.  (I used the couple's last name for this project, but this can be altered for any holiday, saying, or word to make it special for you)  Paint another coat over your letters, if needed.

5)  Use a dry paper towel to rub paint over the edged of the paper to create the rustic border effect.   

6)  Once you have all of your canvases complete (and dry), you can now measure your ribbon so that the canvases will hang evenly from a curtain rod.   

7)  Attach ribbons by generously applying hot glue to the back of the canvas and your ribbons.

8)  Hang your lovely work of art from the curtain rod and SHOW IT OFF!




 

 The (semi) finished product!  (If I get a chance to sneak a picture of this actually hanging on the wall I will share it with you later!  I was in a little bit of a time crunch and couldn't hang up the sample before having to wrap it and give it away.)

*Once again, sorry for the horrible phone pictures, hopefully that'll change soon!

Even though it may seem like there are a lot of steps, this project is fun and easy.  It's a simple project that can be completed while watching your favorite tv show... that's what I love about doing (most) crafts!  

A special congrats to the Oatley's and their new journey together!  

~Stephanie P.

No comments:

Post a Comment